Just wanted to say ... thanks for taking the time to stop by, hope you enjoyed your visit.x

Friday 11 July 2014

Have the courage to imagine for A Vintage Journey Challenge #10 - Dies and Distress

So I am finally back alongside my fab team mates over at A Vintage Journey and the theme for this journey is Dies and Distress chosen by the lovely Annie ..So make sure you pop across here to see all the creative guides amazing creations and details of how to travel along with us! 
So without further ado here is my piece using dies and distress and full of all sorts of yummy Tim goodness :

I went to town using lots of gorgeous Tim Holtz dies to embellish not only the outside but also the inside of my Artist Trading Block. I love the fact that there are lots of sides and also the inside and the top to embellish and create upon. 
So here is the inside :

Now here is a how to , including all the dies and Tim Holtz goodies that went into creating this piece. I started by die cutting the block pieces and set too with distress inks and layering stencils.

I started by applying some antique linen distress paint through Tim Holtz layering stencil. I applied it in random places and then left to dry.

Once dry I applied some pumice stone distress ink all over the surface of the box and dried  and then using another layering stencil added some more pumice stone distress ink through ( this time using clockwork stencil).

Here is the outside of the box now all those yummy distress layers are completed.


Inside the box I applied pumice stone through the arrows layering stencil , turning the stencil randomly to cover all of inside.


Now for some of the details that will decorate and fill the inside....you know me and cogs and gears if you have been here before...so I die cut the gears ( a much loved Tim Holtz die) and inked with pumice stone DI, then sprinkled with cement embossing powder. before heating I tapped and wiped off some of the edges and then heat set.

I created two large and two small tags and the inked the edges in black soot and also rubbed rusty hinge DI onto them .
(you will see the detail of them in the finished piece)

I also die cut some arrows from thick card and coloured with stains and then dabbed some antique brass distress paint and some rusty hinge distress ink onto them.


Here are the faces of the ATB. 

For this side I added a die cut framework piece, coloured in walnut stain DI. I added lots of rub ons and some stamped elements .

For this side I added another framework die cut piece coloured with walnut stain and rusty hinge distress ink. I added more rub ons and also added one of the gears from above. I added an idea-ology gear too.

For this side i added another piece of framework die cut coloured as above and some stamped elements and some rub ons and  a pen nib.


For this side ..more die cuts and stamped elements.


Here are the cogs and gears on the top....I adhered them using bingo pieces and spools to make them dimensional. I added the die cut arrows, some idea-ology and then some rub ons .


Hope this shows the dimension.


Here is the inside of the box... I added lots of rub ons and some stamped elements and some idea-ology. I added lots the rest of the gears to create the dimension I glued onto more spools and bingo chips...lots of rusty wire, idea-ology gears and some die cut arrows.


Thanks for taking the time to plough through my post!

I am entering this for the following competitions :
start from scratch @ SimonSaysStamp
using stencil/masks @ ThatsCrafty


35 comments :

  1. Fabulous dimensional ATB Trace, I love all the cogs and the stencilling. The arrows are a fabulous addition . Welcome back. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trace, this ATB is just fabulous. So much fun to see what you have done on the outside but to then find more goodies on the inside is simply awesome. Such fun to look at and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trace, it is so nice to see you back in blogland! What an incredible ATB you have shared. Not only is the outside amazing, but the inside is incredible! Love all the arrows and details. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow love this very distressed and geared up piece, Trace! That cement ef is pretty cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Trace......your ATB is fabulous. The dies you used in your layout are stunning g and I adore the amazing details in the inside. TFS and crafty hugs

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous Trace, I love the way you textured everything before you put the box together adding layers of ink and rub-ons, it looks so effective and then all the 3d cogs, wow. This is full of amazing details and techniques. You are back with an explosion of inspiration and I am so happy to see you creating your wonderful pieces again. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this Trace and it is very Tim Holtz I think. How you have made the inside is ingenious.

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those colours/shades are beautiful together! Love that you made the inside in the same style. A box to look a little bit longer at; so much great things to see! Hope you have a fun weekend planned, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Trace, this is you at your very best! I love the outside and all the wonderful dimension you have created - but- then the inside...... oh my goodness, it looks like a real working time piece inside, how wonderful. An absolutely brilliant piece of work - welcome back lovely lady! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fabulous Project, love it, even though it reminds me to use that sizzix die more often

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've gone to town on this ATB and I adore what you've done on the inside as much as the wonderful outside. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fabulous is this? Beautifully decorated, inside and out, with a great choice of elements all distressed to varying degrees. Beautifully done Trace!! Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that you have inside the box the gears and cogs! Cool project! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This. Is just so beautiful with so many lovely layers xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. omword Trace - this ATB is amazing - I can't believe the detail in this - absolutely stunning - love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous Trace and such great use of dies and distress!! Love your wonderful ATB!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous make and so lovely to see you blogging again, missed you loads. Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing and inspiring. You really are back! I love all of it but how you have done the inside is so fab. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is ingenious! It is amazing inside and out! Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally brilliant... the layered stencilling in the background is fabulous, and I love the texture you've created with the chevrons. As for the cog construction inside - genius!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Trace, your block is awesome. I love the way you've done the inside with the different shapes and textures. The outside is fab too. Fantastic!!! Jean.x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just popping by to say thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge with your fabulous piece Trace . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic idea and a great piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is inspirational, love the inside of the box as well.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is gorgeous Trace,love all the detail....So much to look at.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic Artist trading block!
    Love all the fab die cut details especially the arrows and chevrons
    Beautiful colours and the stencilling is gorgeous

    Jools x

    ReplyDelete
  27. The outside is of course AWESOME, but the inside stole my heart! FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow that ia amazing, I feel as if if I touched it the cogs would start spinning! Great inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Trace! A fabulous creation with such an amazing amount of detail. Love it!
    Thanks for sharing this with us at That's Crafty and wishing you good luck.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a brilliant design Trace!! I love your use of the Cogs....very clever. This truly is an inspirational piece. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a FUN and creative Box Trace! I love the backgrounds on your sides - and then all the gears and arrows you added - especially to the top - and THEN I see that you filled the insides with gears and arrows - LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your work is oustanding, dear Trace!!! Love this creation!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this Trace. Wonderful "creativity machine" you have here. It seems to be operating on full power these days. Great use of the remnant rubs and I can't get over the cool way you filled the box. Such an amazing make. -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and leave me a comment..it means a lot..hope you like what you see. Trace x