Just wanted to say ... thanks for taking the time to stop by, hope you enjoyed your visit.x

Friday 25 July 2014

Stain is the name of the game

Well it is time for another theme over at A Vintage Journey... chosen by the lovely and talented Jenny. The theme is Distress Stains...so whatever you want to create using stains...and you need to say how Tim Holtz inspired your creation... So here is my make using stains in lots of different ways :


I decided to go all out with the stains for stamping, ribbon staining, background making and shattered stains... so here are some details and pictures .

I stared by creating the background by applying Distress stains in rusty hinge and broken china to my craft sheet, spritzing my large tag and swiping through the stains... I spritzed some water onto tag surface and dried.

Then I re dipped into the remaining stain droplets to get a more mottled effect and dried.


then to add some detail I swiped stain across my flourish stamp....


and stamped onto surface of the tag in bottom left and top right.


To complete the tag background I added some rusty hinge and broken china distress ink to edges, dried and then edged with walnut stain. I added some die cut framework pieces and some  inside pieces cut from various materials. ( sorry got carried away but here is one that shows the pieces in place ).


Now for the butterfly, well my new die (oops dies)...had fallen through my letterbox...well actually a few more things fell in my basket and Mr Postie had to hand them in the door...but anyway it seemed rude not to play..so I die cut the butterfly from grungepaper and coated with clear rock candy and left to do its thing!


I then added a layer of tumbled glass stain and heat set... Tim Holtz has a great tutorial on shattered stains here for his July tag.... I did this a bit differently but not much...


When dry I added more stain in broken china, dried and then using a brush added some rusty hinge to body area an wing tips. I also flicked some perfect pearl diluted powder on for a bit of shimmer in areas.


I added a sentiment, stamped in black archival and inked up in same colours and lots of dyed seam binding....using distress stains applied to craft sheet, spritz seam binding...dip into stain droplets and scrunch and leave over night to dry.


Finally a philosophy token with distress paint rubbed over surface and into letters and then rubbed off with soft cloth so paint only stays in letters.



Well hope you like my make and make sure you hop across for all the details of how to join in and to see all the yummy makes my fellow creative guides have made...I promise you will not be disappointed x

keep those fingers inky and those hearts full x
trace x 

35 comments :

  1. Lovely Trace, gorgeous backdrop and the butterfly is lovely. I just purchased this die too lol x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tag Trace, with lots of fabulous DS colours and techniques. I love the butterfly and like you the postman delivered one to my door too.....such a sweetie.
    TFS and hugs
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love the softness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way that lightly rusted feel background with it's marvellous trellis plays against the superb big butterfly. A joy to see Trace. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of inspiration on this tag Trace will get out my Stains and have a think.

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Trace, that stunning butterfly really does take centre stage on your gorgeous tag! The background is pretty fabulous too!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glorious. I just love the muted and mottled background with the stunning shattered butterfly, what amazing combinations. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful tag! After about a year I started to work with my stains again on a dema on the biggest stampevent here in the Netherlands and evert 8-10 creations I find myself using them again,,, Love the butterfly and the soft-colors of the BG! Enjoy the summer! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that interesting background and the butterfly looks stunning!
    greetings, Alie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tag. Great colours and background.Love the crackled butterfly too - it's on my wishlist... lol

    I've not had my stains out for a while. Maybe it's time they had an airing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love this and the butterfly is to die for, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally fabulous Trace, love the spattered background and beautiful swirl stamping with the stains. The butterfly looks amazing! The little touches of shimmer from the perfect pearls powder, gives it that extra pop, - really love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to see this in real life! It looks wonderful :-)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is fabolous dear Trace, oh my! that butterfly with the glass stain, looks amazing, and love the background too!!
    xo,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful tag, Trace! The stained background is such a compliment to that gorgeously big stained butterfly! Love that butterfly! Enjoy the weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trace, this is gorgeous. Your crackling is fantastic. Love the colours too. Fabulous!!! Jean.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a wonderful background made with your stains - and your new butterfly is GORGEOUS with all her crackle and lovely colors! this may have to be ordered to get mailed to my home as well!!! just one more thing I need!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunningly beautiful, Trace - the background is just lovely (what perfect colours and inky effects - I LOVE Distress Stains!!), and that butterfly is to die for - wonderful!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous butterfly. love the tag and the staining.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  20. This tag is absolutely gorgeous! I love how it has that vintage distressed look, yet it is still so pretty! The color palette is dreamy and all the little touches you added were brilliant. I especially love the butterfly and the ribbon turned out beautifully, too. Wonderful work and I'm so appreciative of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is gorgeous! I love the way you used stains in so many different ways and that crackle on the butterfly is stunning! This is so pretty and summery and somehow cool in all this heat; it takes me to the side of a gentle brook in some shady spot with butterflies dancing in the sunlight! Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. When you said getting CARRIED AWAY... I love to get carried away like you did... the best kind of play there is... love your piece and everything that you did with it... I got carried away in your words and felt like I was there with you... love it... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love this tag! It's delicate and wonderful, great work! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this tag, especially the way you colored the background!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful tag, love the subtle watery colours and stamping
    The butterfly colours and crackle is fantastic

    Jools x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Trace this is a lovely tag, you have used the stains in so many wonderful ways its hard to pick out a favourite element, but if I had to choose it has to be your butterfly as the crackle with the stains over is my favourite technique. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Trace - this is gorgeously gorgeous! The staining is amazing and the butterfly out of this world! All so subtle but generating a powerful project. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW great effect.Amazing butterfly with he colorful texture, love the tag and the staining.

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow what a beautiful tag, love the colors and the gorgeous butterfly!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  30. Trace what a beautiful tag! This background is brilliant! I will have to try this one. The butterfly is to die for....just gorgeous. Love it! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so beautiful! Your shattered stain technique on the butterfly is drop dead gorgeous! Wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Trace -- Wow! You've given us so many different wonderful ideas of how to use stain on our projects. The colors you used are fantastic. Love that butterfly!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning, the butterfly is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and leave me a comment..it means a lot..hope you like what you see. Trace x